Tuesday, March 24, 2009

As Is...No Refunds or Exchanges



"Yes, I'd like to trade this for a newer model. When I got home I realized it didn't have all the features I was hoping for."


"I'm sorry, all sales are final. You should have read the packaging more closely before you made your decision."


"Well, is there some sort of upgrade I can install to change the functions and features more to my liking?"


"I'm afraid not. You'll have to choose a whole new model."


"Then what am I supposed to do with this one?"


"That is entirely up to you, ma'am. If you'd like my opinion, I think you should give it a chance. Keep it a while, though you may find it lacking in some functionality, if you explore and utilize it's features you'll find it can be quite an asset to add to your life. No product is 100% foolproof. Many people have been very satisfied to live with it's limitations."


"I'd really just like to change some things, is all. Are you sure there is no way?"


"Yes ma'am. Every model is individual, no two are the same. Programs are not interchangeable. You will have to learn to adapt to the one you have or start over with a whole new one."


"I don't want to start over with a new one, I've invested so much time and effort into this one all ready."


"I understand. If I could ask, exactly what is it about this model that dissatisfies you?"


"Well...it doesn't seem to meet all of my needs. Even with all of my input, it malfunctions from time to time. It's very frustrating."


"Are you sure you are entering your data properly?"


"I think so."


"You must make sure. Any improper data entry could create a conflict within the system and cause it to malfunction. It has to be able to understand what you are inputting into the system to respond accordingly. Here."


"What is this?"


"It's an input manual. It will help you learn more effectively how to input information so you will get the responses you're looking for. Read it over, I'm sure it will help solve many of your problems."


"Okay, if you think it will help. I'll try it."


"Good for you! I think you'll be quite happy, ma'am."


"Thank you. I'm looking forward to it.--Come on, Chester. Let's get on home, we have a lot of work to do. Would you like to drive, or shall I?--Good-bye now, thanks for all your help."


"Aw, you're welcome. You and Chester should communicate much better now that you have the manual. Good luck to you and have a nice day."




___________________________________________________________________________




People are not machines and they don't come with manuals. Every relationship takes motivation and work. The right communication skills within a relationship makes all the difference.
We can't expect people to 'get it', if we haven't really explained what it is they're supposed to 'get'. It's up to us to learn how to communicate with our partners or friends. It's not up to them to figure us out. We have to work on us, not try to change the other person. We will only fail if we try. Change can only come from within. We will be much happier if we remember that each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on YOUR mind?