Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Overloaded


Have you ever been so excited about something that you suddenly discovered you were doing so many things at once you couldn't keep them straight? Lately I have been learning so many new things, I've been trying them all. I find that there aren't enough free hours in a day to keep track. It seems to me, as I sit here reflecting, that a certain someone (myself) wrote an article about not adding too many new activities to your day. [Let me take a break here to go back and read my own advice...]

Okay, now that I have reread my own writing...what the heck am I thinking! Obviously, I have not been walking the walk. I have taken so many new avenues over the last week, I find myself lost not knowing which direction to take throughout my day. It's great to be motivated, but not to the point of confusion; which is about where I am now. Not to mention that I am in no way completely knowledgeable in any of the tasks I'm attempting. That makes it all the more confusing, when you have no idea what you are actually doing. Luckily, my basic knowledge has kept me afloat; for now.

So I have sat myself down, and even as I write this, I am thinking of ways to thin things down a bit. I'm collating thoughts in my head and prioritising what I should do; could do, can't do, can wait to do. As you might guess, there is a lot going on in there [my head]. Amazing that I can put anything coherent into this article. [Again, let me take a break here to gather myself and find my direction...]

All right, once again having sorted out the garbage floating around my brain, I can now devote my full attention to finishing this article.

The point is: focus, direction, priority, ability. If I keep all those in mind, I can be motivated without being overwhelmed. A big lesson to learn when you are trying too hard to succeed at anything. Quality also suffers when you spread yourself too thin. It's impossible to give the best of yourself when you're caught up in quantity. I found that your brain will actually smoke if you try to input a vast quantity of information in a small amount of time. Moderation is the key to motivated motivation!

My message for the week: Take it easy. Slow down. Think things through. Keep it simple. Moderation and common sense.

Don't smoke your brain!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on YOUR mind?